Monday, February 2, 2009

If it's not your dog, don't whisper.

I have come to the conclusion that every male who has ever seen an episode of The Dog Whisperer thinks they are a professional dog trainer. In fact, they are so confident in their skills they believe if you have a dog, or have ever had a dog, (whether or not they actually have a dog) you are in want of any dog training tips they can offer. They also tend to believe if your dog is in the vicinity you obviously are dying for a demonstration of their 'whispering' skills.
Here's the deal, I get that you all like to think you are the master of something... However... My dog is my dog. I work on specific training techniques and methods that I have determined are best for my dog... and he's doing okay. Doesn't really need anyone else to step in. Doesn't really need three or four other people hissing and inflicting their idea of training on him. It's not always appreciated... and in fact, I would go so far as to say, unless asked, it would be best to keep your dog training tips to yourself.
Or think of it this way: If it's not your dog, don't try to whisper it. Dogs and dog owners alike will appreciate your restraint.

No comments: