Thursday, February 5, 2009

Story

Everyone has a story to tell. Some are simple, some a little more complicated. Some are short, as they have just begun, and some are more like epic tales spanning a lifetime. Some end in a definite hopeful direction, while others seem to stop abruptly at the worst possible place and linger there...
but everyone-- no, EVERYONE has a story to tell.
There's a song I learned several years ago that has a line that has stuck with me since the first time I heard it. It says: You've come far, and though you're far from the end, you don't mind where you are, 'cause you know where you've been. I always liked it, but didn't really understand why until recently. I think often times on our life journey we feel like we get stuck, or we aren't really sure where we are headed or why. Often times it is not until we look at where we have been that we understand where we are headed. Or maybe it is not til we acknowledge where we have been that we realize we want to head in a different direction.
Regardless, I think there is value in remembering your story, and learning from the "where you've been" part of it. Too often I think I get caught up in where I am and where I am going, and when I stopped this week to consider where I've been... over the past six months, the past year, the past couple years, the past decade... honestly, I am a bit overwhelmed.
Here's what I know: Everyone has a story to tell-- including me. My story is a beautiful story about grace and redemption and a God with a love so big that pursued me relentlessly through so many trials, rebellions, and lapses in judgement. And thats not to say my story is complete, or even that it has slowed a bit... because my story has a very exciting and hopeful ending... yet to be determined!
I know over the past few months there has been some stirring inside of me... and my heart--and my head!!!-- have been prepared for this. It seems like a giant, GIANT step of faith-- I don't want to and I am honestly terrified. But... I think I am ready to tell my story.

1 comment:

Donnie Miller said...

Good post! I think telling your story would be a wonderful idea. And yes, God is doing wonderful work in your life; shaping you into a beautiful person.