Tuesday, December 1, 2009

What I'm making tonight:

There are some days when you need to make something but there's not much around to make... but... some leftover junk. And So you make the favorite of roommates everywhere: Leftover soup. Okay, my roommates liked it. And I like making soup, because there is really nothing that can go wrong with soup. I always have a couple cans of chicken stock, beans, or tomatos in my pantry... use some leftover fresh or frozen veggies... easy and yummy.
The only regret for this one is I didn't take a picture. It was very colorful and pretty. And you know how I feel about pretty food-- I like pretty food so much I am considering making a food picture blog. (mostly for Rebecca's enjoyment) Hmmm... I'll let you know if that happens. But I digress... back to food:

Leftover soup: Mexican style
2 (ish) carrots cleaned and coursely chopped
2 (ish) cellery stalks cleaned and coarsley chopped
1 small yellow onion chopped
2-3 garlic cloves finely chopped
2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
saute until vegetables start to get soft then add:

2-3 cups chicken or veggie broth
1 can diced tomatoes and chilies
1 can beans (black, kidney, white, whatever you have in the pantry)
2 ish cups shredded chicken (rotisserie, baked, leftover turkey...)
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1-2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
and bubble it for a while (till vegetables are fully cooked). Add chopped cilantro before you serve it and top it with tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream and/or more cilantro... Yummy!

No comments: