Friday, February 19, 2010

M'mm... Mousey!

Yesterday we were having lunch at work and I was sent to the supply closet to grab some paper towels. I reached down to grab a roll from the stack on the floor and inches from my hand is a dead mouse. I definitely jumped back and may have yelped in surprise... then made one of the guys take it out and throw it in the dumpster. Mouse #1. They reset the trap.

Later that day Jess squeals from the kitchen that one just ran across the floor... we can't figure out where it went, though... so we go about our business.
About 10 minutes later I am on the phone with a customer and I hear noisy yelling and stomping and furniture moving coming from the kitchen. By the time I get off the phone and in there to figure out what is going on, my bosses are standing around looking proud and Jess and saying, "Gross, guys, just get rid of it!" Apparently the cornered a mouse under the table and killed it by stomping on it... then were standing around admiring their work. UGH. That's #2.

This morning I had to get back in the supply closet and as I was opening it, i was saying to Jason I was a little worried about what I would find... and sure enough the same trap as yesterday was flipped with something fuzzy beneath it. That's mouse #3 dead. Jason disposed of the mouse and brought the trap back in to reset it. Dave suggested we put peanut butter on the trap, and so I found some in the cabinet and he used a fork to spread it across the trap. Jason joked, "Are you going to lick that fork clean?" And Dave popped the fork in his mouth and licked the rest of the peanut butter off... "Dude, there was just a dead mouse on that trap!" "Oh, I thought it was a new one! Gross." Um, I have some hand sanitizer on my desk you can gargle with??? so gross. I hate rodents.

Just a little bit ago Jeremiah came into my office points to the door right across from me and says, stay out of there, I just saw your little friend slip under the door. Great. That's at least the fourth mouse. (How many can there be?) I have tried to stay in my office with my feet on the chair, because I have to be honest with you, I am not a fan of mice of any kind-- be they dead or alive. I was on the phone with a customer when I heard rustling behind me... turned around just in time to see (maybe?) a small shadow scoot around the corner. Two minutes later I hear more rustling behind a recycle box in the corner. Well, I am not going to check it out-- so I walked down the hall to Dave's office.
"I think there is a mouse in my office."
"Why do you think that?"
"I can hear it rustling and scampering. Is there anything we can do about it?"
"Turn up your music?"
(sigh)
That's very helpful. Thank you.

Only a half hour, and I can leave this rodent infested place for the weekend. Thank goodness... Do I dare check the supply closet again before I leave?

UPDATE: Since this post was written we have caught 5 more mice in traps... and yesterday happened upon a crime scene when we arrived at work! 2 traps drug into the middle of the floor, (one was sprung, the other a glue trap)and there is blood all over the floor around the traps, but no body to be found. And no path leading away from the traps... soooo... did the mouse drag our traps out, have a party open a vein for a while to confuse us, then bandage it all up and go home for the evening? No idea. We need CSI:Rodent!

No comments: